If you’re a Siteground customer, you most likely got this email recently.
We are excited to announce yet another service enhancement – geographically distributed backups! As of May 8, 2021 we will start the process of moving all backups to a different data center. When this process is over we will no longer keep any account and its backup in one and the same geographic location.
I think its great Siteground is publicly stating how they’re handling backups, and also distributing them geographically.
Here’s how they’ll be achieving their distributed backups.
New backup storage locations
The new backup storage locations will be as follows:
• Iowa, US servers are backed up on machines in Virginia, US
• London, UK servers are backed up in Eemshaven, NL
• Frankfurt, DE servers are backed up in Eemshaven, NL
• Eemshaven, NL servers are backed up in Frankfurt, DE
• Sydney, AU servers are backed up in Singapore, SG
• Singapore, new backup location coming soon*
*once chosen, an additional email will be sent to clients hosted in Singapore
At the time of writing there is no post on Siteground’s website at all. I’m assuming they will advertise this after they’ve implemented it on May 8th 2021!